Have you ever had the chance to take a drive in the country during harvest time?
You will notice many farmers in one field for days and then they move to their neighbor’s field helping each other have a successful harvest. This has been going on for decades; it’s not a new idea. We need the same help in our businesses.
There was a time when my business first began I thought I was supposed to do it alone. In fact, for the first year or two I was under the strange impression that if I asked for help I was weak and I was supposed to have all of the answers. WOW, what an eye opener the day I realized how much I was depriving myself and my business of substance, wisdom, fun and new evolving ideas. Then another big awareness hit. I began looking at my strengths — how I best interacted with people — what truly energized me. TEAMS!! Multiples of business people that needed and wanted the same end result — Building their Business. I began seeking teams that were forming; business classes with small groups; forming my own team, and now facilitating Success Teams. I will never be without a team. It would rob me of the stimulation I need and the giving I so enjoy.
The bottom line is we are all human beings; we need a pat on the back, a supportive environment, new ideas and sometimes a kick in the pants. Teams may be set up for all types of needs — mine happens to be for my business. I would not be where I am today without my team. We are moving into our 3rd year together. We chose to meet once a week for 2 hours. Every week I count on that meeting because I know I am going to be able to give support, lend an ear and assist my teammates with whatever they need for that time period. I will also be receiving the same. Whether I need to obtain valuable information, set goals to move forward with my week or want a cheering squad for a success achieved.
What are your thoughts for a Success Team? Are you the type of person that needs accountability to keep you focused? Do you have the desire to be part of a bigger picture and stay individual? If so, build it into your request of what a Success Team means to you. Maybe you don’t work well with accountability and simply like to have the freedom through the week to create and bring it back to the table. One of my team members has a particular approach that works for him when he has a lot to get done. He commits to buying the team breakfast if he does not complete his assignment. I believe he has only had to do that once — he has achieved the commitments he puts on the table.
A Success Team can be like the ‘All for One and One for All approach’. You are there to help each other succeed. I have as much investment in my teammates’ success as I do my own and I will do whatever it takes to help them get there. I also know they have the same commitment to me. Many times we are on the phone together during the week and periodically helping each other out with big projects. The level of commitment is in your hands.
Here are some tips to assist you in creating the foundation of your team:
– Find team members who are at the same commitment level you are to succeed in your business.
– Find team members who have a different business than you. If your team members are in the same business that’s OK, but I suggest those members have different previous backgrounds — it brings more variety and knowledge to your group.
– Choose a consistent time period, i.e. weekly, bi-weekly, etc. This lets you know you have some help and camaraderie to count on.
– Choose an environment for your meetings that is energizing to you. It could be your favorite latte hangout, a park or an office.
– Schedule a preliminary meeting to set ground rules and establish a trial period. With a trial period it gives each of your members time to decide if this is right for them and if you’re right for each other. A suggested trial period can be 3-months.
If you find yourself floundering, unfocused, or simply wanting human interaction do yourself and your business a favor. Form a team NOW. What are you waiting for? Give yourself and your business the boost and richness it deserves. Don’t wait another second — do it NOW!